Wednesday, June 25, 2014

State of Design: How Design Education Must Change

Donald Norman is one of my most revered people of this period. He is someone that I look up to in many ways, and has entirely changed the way in which I view our world. If you want to know anything at all about design, I highly recommend reading not only “The Design of Everyday Things”, but also “Emotional Design”. However this is not about these books, but rather this post is about the article he wrote some time ago and recently updated with Scott Klemmer on the state of design education.

I think the most important thing that Don is talking about in this article is that the world has changed. It has become an increasingly complex place that has no simple solutions. Design as a discipline has also changed dramatically and we need training in experimental, service and interaction design, as well as the social and behavioral sciences. We have moved on from the days where design focuses on the aesthetics and functionality of everyday objects and have moved into a new world where design requires people with advanced knowledge in many non-design related areas.

We need a new kind of designer that can function in a broad range of fields from business and technology to science and engineering. They need to know how to market themselves, and to understand people in order to meet the demands of today. Don also cautions that we need to adapt these other disciplines to be included in design education, to create courses that are unique and fulfill the requirements expected of new designers.

Where does this lead us into the future of design education? This is a question that I am unprepared to answer. Because I am currently a student of design education, it is hard to analyse how well we are prepared for future success without first reaching the point that I need to make something of myself. I do however know how I am trying to work myself out of this problem by taking on further education beyond my required classes and reaching out into the world of books, online MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses), and trying to network myself in the community. I think one of the root questions that need to be asked is if one education program alone has ever been enough? So how do we teach to encourage more students to reach beyond their everyday coursework?




No comments:

Post a Comment